DIY curtain care tips to brighten your favourite living spaces
Do you sneeze every time you open your curtains at home? You may not have noticed it right away, but dust and dirt may be swirling right under your nose. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for some people to neglect taking care of their curtains.
Apart from their functionality, curtains add aesthetic value to your home. If you own silk, wool, or linen curtains, knowing how to care for your curtains will make them look new and smell fresh any time. Read on to learn some tips and tricks from us here at Heritage Blinds and Shutters on ways to clean and prolong the life-span of your curtains.
How to take care of your curtains at home
Different types of curtain material require different ways of cleaning. Before you brush off the dust and deep clean your curtains, it makes sense to first read the instructions on how to care for your curtains. We all want to ensure our curtains last longer and always look like new and here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Dry clean curtains and drapes with stitches, pleats, swags, or other ornaments.
- Brush velvet and silk curtains with a chamois cloth dipped in hot water.
- Dust your curtains and drapes.
- Remove curtain hooks and weights before washing.
- Pre-soak curtains in cold water and mild detergent.
- Wash with extra care, according to the type of fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly and squeeze out water using a short washing machine spin.
- Iron and hang the curtains while slightly damp.
- Clean the curtain tracks, windows, and sills before putting the curtains back.
- Twist or wring curtains made of delicate fabrics.
- Wait for the dirt to appear on sheer curtains – they might get permanently discoloured.
- Expose your curtains to direct sunlight – too much can make any fabric fragile.
- Rub, wring, or twist curtains.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about curtain cleaning andmaintenance.
Should I wash or dry-clean curtains?
Can I hang curtains up wet?
How often should curtains be washed?
How do I clean curtains without taking them down?
How can I make my curtains look like new without washing them?
Sometimes, you can keep your curtains clean by just taking care of the things around it. For example, simply clean the window. You can also give your curtains a good shake to brush off dust. Just wait for the dust to settle down before cleaning furniture and vacuum the floor. Finally, do a thorough vacuum clean every week, to help make your curtains look new.
Do you need to replace or upgrade your curtains? Call Heritage Blinds and Shutters today.
If you’re looking at changing your curtains or getting new window treatments, we would be more than happy to discuss our products with you. We can provide recommendations as well as reasonable price for our products and installation service.
Have no time to drop by our shop? Our team at Heritage provides free in-house measurements and quotes right in the comfort of your property. Call us on (02) 4958 4336 or email us at email@example.com to schedule an appointment.